February 2018 Update
Although significant development has gone into the next release, this month it was necessary to release an update of Chinese Toolbox 2013 (22.214.171.124). This was due to communication (HTTP) requirement changes on my server which caused
an error message in Chinese Toolbox to be displayed at startup.
In 2018 I will be releasing a major new version of Chinese Toolbox that will include some of the features below:
- Develop an integrated library system. Users will be able to recommend online documents for inclusion in the library. Chinese Toolbox will analyze documents based on users’ understanding of characters, and the program will recommend certain documents for reading that are appropriate to the users’ level of Chinese.
- Develop a system of review for Windows and mobile devices that is integrated into the Chinese Toolbox system. Learning data will be stored remotely to allow instant and seamless access to learning data on any Chinese Toolbox platform. Need-to-learn characters & words and Unknown characters & words of documents imported into Chinese Toolbox will automatically feed into the review system.
- Upgrade the Unihan character dictionary to the newest version.
- Develop a system to identify character components. Users will be able to search on character components, not only radicals.
- Improve search functionality. The Search window will support searching across multiple documents, the Known list, the Unknown list, the Need-To-Learn list and the current character frequency list. Other search options will be improved.
- Add a Layout menu that enables switching of window layouts for different screen sizes: 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1924x1080, etc.
- Standardize the way pinyin and zhuyin are entered for the two dictionaries.
- Modify the interface for Windows 10 touch (tablet) systems.
- Develop an annotation feature for Reader text. This will enable the creation of footnotes, annotations, or other notes for Chinese Toolbox documents. Options will allow one to specify how and where annotations are to appear, whether inline with the Chinese text, or in a separate window.
- Improve text editing in the Reader and in text frames.
- Add and develop a writing system to enable fast entry of Chinese text based on custom data in dictionaries.
- Improve the appearance.
- Develop support for inline display of dictionary data. The dictionary information will appear with (next to, above or below) the text that you are reading.
- Restructure Chinese Toolbox files to shorten the time needed for program startup and shutdown.
- Develop localized versions of Chinese Toolbox; e.g. French-Chinese, German-Chinese, etc.
See the February 2018 updates for
← Chinese Toolbox and Toolbox Coding →
especially the new Chinese Toolbox 126.96.36.199.
For the next several days, this website will be undergoing frequent updates. All major updates will be finished when this notice no longer appears.