September 2015 update
Many major changes and additions are currently in the works, and the next release will be available as soon as possible. If you would be interested in testing the program or have any suggestions, please send an email to atsherrill at
gmail.com or chinesetoolbox.com. The following is a list of the most important changes being made:
- Develop an integrated library system. Users will be able to recommend online documents for inclusion in the library. Chinese Toolbox will analyze documents based on user’s understanding of characters, and the program will recommend certain documents for reading that are appropriate to the user’s level of Chinese.
- Develop a system of review for Windows and mobile devices (Android, Windows Phone, iPhone) that is integrated into the Chinese Toolbox system. Learning data will be stored remotely to allow instant and seamless access to learning data on any Chinese
Toolbox platform. Need-to-learn characters & words and Unknown characters & words of documents imported into Chinese Toolbox will automatically feed into the review system.
- Upgrade the Unihan character dictionary to the newest version.
- Develop a system to identify character components. User’s will be able to search on character components, not only radicals.
- Improve search functionality. The Search window will support searching across multiple documents, the Known list, the Unknown list, the Need-To-Learn list and the current character frequency list. Other search options will be improved.
- Add a Layout menu that enables switching of window layouts for different screen sizes: 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1924x1080, etc.
- Standardize the way pinyin and zhuyin are entered for the two dictionaries.
- Modify the interface for Windows 10 touch (tablet) systems.
- Develop an annotation feature for Reader text. This will enable the creation of footnotes, annotations, or other notes for Chinese Toolbox documents. Options will allow one to specify how and where annotations are to appear, whether inline with the Chinese text, or in a separate window.
- Improve text editing in the Reader and in text frames.
- Add and develop a writing system to enable fast entry of Chinese text based on custom data in dictionaries.
- Improve the appearance.
- Develop support for inline display of dictionary data. The dictionary information would appear with (next to, above or below) the text that you’re reading.
- Restructure Chinese Toolbox files to shorten the time needed for program startup and shutdown.
- Develop localized versions of Chinese Toolbox; e.g. French-Chinese, German-Chinese, etc.